Sunday, December 17, 2006

Who Else Benefits from Musiceuticals?

More on Musiceuticals: I've been wondering who else--beyond a music provider looking to differentiate--benefits from Musiceuticals. Perhaps the group with the greatest to gain (at least on a percentage basis!) is new artists. And this is tied intimately to the value listeners receive. It's hard for a typical listener/buyer to say, "I want new music and I like hip hop or classic rock, so find me things I'll like." Typical genre searches just deliver too many hits. You need a tighter filter. So what do many buyers do? They buy more from the artists they know or the artists that are most famous. But if we assume that Musiceutical effectiveness is tied in some way to taste in genres (not required, but I believe it to be true), then a Musiceutical filter lets me say, "Find me music that fits a melancholy mood" [knowing your preference for Country] or "I'm looking for something that gives me energy" [knowing your preference for Electronica] and your chances of finding something you want skyrocket. At that point, you have new confidence when you come face-to-face with a list including new artists. Your list that is far more concentrated in what you are looking for, so it may be worth your time to browse the 10s of artists you haven't considered instead of the 100s that a generic genre search would deliver. New artists are going to see a jump in sales. Who else do you think will benefit?

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites